An Ordinary Woman; Prov 22:6


Being the mother of two men and the grandparent of one little boy and one beautiful little girl is somewhat overwhelming to me some 23 years later. I never imagined I would be a "grand" at such a young age. But now that God has placed me in this role it has taught me more about myself than I ever could have imagined.
I've realized that parenting for many is a learned skilled, it didn't just come natural for me like it did for so many of my other friends in the same role. I had to learn how to discipline and how to manage my time and theirs while maintaining who I am. I had to learn how to be patient while encouraging them in their gifts; which are many. I had to pray hard, read a few motivational books, search through parenting magazines and study the Bible for direction and new ways to be the best mommy I could possibly be.
No one likes to admit these things; that parenting doesn't come natural for everyone. But I will. I believe that if we weren't ashamed to admit it, then many of us moms wouldn't find ourselves suffering from issues like depression, postpartum and anger that we suppress deep inside because of the stigma society places on us. I've made many mistakes and sometimes wish I could start at the beginning. But, I can not. So, I must look in the mirror and say to myself, "Sheila, you did the best that you knew how to do", and trust that God will continue to do a complete work in my sons.
As I look back, I can honestly say I enjoyed being a mother. I enjoyed carrying my boys for nine months in my womb. I enjoy watching them develop into the great men they are becoming. And now my men (well one of them) has a little man and little lady of his own. My second chance, as I see it, to embrace my son and encourage him and teach him how to be the best father that he can possibly be. I'm no different than many, I'm just an ordinary woman who had to learn to be the best mother (and now grandmother) that I can possibly be.

"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, suggestion or idea!